Skeetie Salad is a fruit salad that’s been in my family for years. My family renamed it Skeetie Salad after my uncle Scott, because as a child he loved to make and eat it so much. (Skeetie was his childhood nickname).
I made this recently for a ’60s themed cocktail party, along with a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. It is not hard to make and only uses a few ingredients (although others could be added)
- 28 oz canned pineapple tidbits (I used one 20 oz and one 8 oz can)
- handful of maraschino cherries
- 2 - 11 oz cans of mandarin oranges
- 6 bananas
- half of a 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows (about 2-3 cups)
- Approx. 1/3 cup mayonaise (to taste)
- Strain the pineapple and mandarin orange juice into a bowl. Drain as much liquid off of the fruit as you can and put into a large separate bowl.
- Dump mini marshmallows into the juice and allow to soak while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- In the bowl with the pineapple and oranges, add cherries and sliced bananas.
- After marshmallows have soaked up some of the juices, strain the juice and discard, and put the marshmallows in with the fruit.
- Add the mayonaise and mix it all together.
This salad often tastes even better the next day, although slightly mushier. The mayo measurement is approximate because we never really measured it before.