Happy Halloween, everyone! This is my favorite holiday and always like making some creepy treats for it too. This year I came up with Zombie Brain Brownies. They’re made from candy melts, brownie, and strawberry sauce mixed with fresh squeezed orange juice and triple sec. If you are looking for a non-alcoholic version, just omit the triple sec and add more orange juice.
- 1/2 cup strawberry topping
- 2 tbs. triple sec*
- 1 tb. of fresh orange juice
- 1 batch of brownies (from a boxed mix or your own recipe)
- 2-12oz. packages of candy melts in Vibrant Green
- Red decorating gel
- Red food coloring
- Brain shaped candy molds
- Make a batch of brownies from scratch or boxed mix and let cool. Once cool, cut the crispy edges off the sides of the brownie (eat or discard).
- Using the directions on the package, melt the candy melts and line the brain molds with a layer about 1/8" thick. I use the back of a spoon to achieve this. Don't fill in the entire brain cavity with candy melts, because we need to leave room for the strawberry sauce and brownie.
- Once the brain molds are all covered with candy melts, chill it in the freezer for 10 minutes to set it up.
- While the brain molds are in the freezer, prepare your strawberry sauce by combining the strawberry topping, triple sec, and orange juice. If you want the sauce to be a brighter red color, add a few drops of red food coloring.
- Take the brain molds out of the freezer once the candy melts have set, and spoon a teaspoon of the strawberry sauce in each brain.
- Pull a small piece of brownie off and mash it into the brain on top of the sauce, making sure to not squish the sauce out.
- Re-melt candy melts if needed, and seal the brownie and sauce into the brain by covering the top with the candy. Make sure it meets with the sides of the candy melts you put in the brain earlier, or you'll have holes that the sauce could seep out of.
- Put the molds back in the freezer for 15 minutes to set the candy melts.
- Once the brains are set, pop them out carefully.
- Before serving them, slather the tops of the brains with the red decorating gel to make the brains look gooey and gross.
*If you want non-alcoholic treats, leave out the triple sec and add more orange juice.
If you want, you can slather some red gel over the top to make them bloody or leave it off for a more clean version. You could even get some green decorating gel and put it in the place of the blood for a more gooey oozing effect.
When you open them up some of the strawberry sauce could drip out so make sure to have some napkins around!
Have a fun and safe Halloween!Pin It